With holiday shopping now well underway, it’s important for retailers to remember the fundamental strategies to ensure a successful year. Many small businesses generate up to 40% of their annual income during this time of year.
Retail consultant Bob Phibbs, the Retail Doctor, shared strategies for success in a recent blog.
Here’s a summary
- Train everyone including seasonal hires to properly greet shoppers, sell and watch for shoplifting. Remember that December is the costliest month for shrinkage for retailers.
- Set schedules to your busiest times so that customers don’t have wait long for service.
- Hold 5-minute huddles with your staff before each shift to review service standards.
- Keep your website current. A site with summer photos during the cold weather season can leave a bad impression.
- Know what you’re promoting each week of the holiday season. Phibbs has a list of promotion suggestions.
- Schedule your social media posts so you don’t go too long without an update.
- Something as simple as stringing lights reminds customer to be merry in spite of COVID-19.