Winter precautions for store openers and closers
Best practice is for early openers and last closers of stores to always come and go from the premises with a buddy. Even if this is your current policy, there will be instances where someone will arrive first or leave last by themselves. If so, here are some tips to keep in mind:
- Ideally, the parking closest to your entrance is well-lighted and not encroached upon by foliage and structures that rob you of a wide visual horizon.
- Be sure to lock the exterior door as you enter the building and the door to your office as an added precaution. Call a designated person and let them know that you have arrived safely.
- If you get a ride to work, ask the driver to wait outside until you confirm you are in safely. A companion may want to walk you to the door.
- If you feel uncomfortable for any reason call the police and ask them to send a car by your office. Always trust your instincts.
- If you did park further out and will be closing late, move your vehicle closer to your building before it gets dark. If you know you will not be able to see 100 feet around your vehicle after dark, find a better parking space.
Criminals focus on the unaware as well as the highly predictable. Remember to occasionally vary arrival and departure times, as well as your routes to and from work.
Walk with a purposeful stride and spend as little time as possible in or around the vehicle. Scan your surroundings and project an alert and “heads up” image. Your smartphone may have a “small” LED flashlight app that is helpful for a quick glance around, under and in your vehicle. Leave your hands as free as possible from packages and bags. This gives you the best chance of defending yourself and makes you a less desirable target.
Lock your door, leave immediately and call your contact person and let them know you are in your vehicle and underway safely.
The RS Safety Library has additional information on this subject.