In 2010, at the height of the Great Recession, American Express launched the Small Business Saturday holiday to redirect holiday shopping to local stores. A little over a decade later, it’s observed in all 50 states. According to American Express, U.S. shoppers spent over $20 billion on Small Business Saturday in 2021, and in the years before that, consumers spent cumulatively over $100 billion on this shopping holiday.
Small Business Saturday falls on November 26 this year. Here are a few ways retailers can position themselves for a successful holiday:
- Get free marketing materials and exposure from American Express
- American Express offers free marketing materials, including posters, emails, and social media posts. Small businesses can add themselves to AmEx’s “Shop Small” map and join a national directory of other participating businesses.
- Launch social media and email marketing campaigns
- Businesses can use hashtags like #SmallBusinessSaturday and #ShopSmall and tag American Express’s @shopsmall social media accounts to get noticed online.
- Update and optimize your small business website
- Every business, especially those with e-commerce operations, should ensure their websites are up-to-date and mobile-friendly before Small Business Saturday. Reaching consumers online has been key to business success in 2022 and will continue to be throughout this holiday season and beyond.