Led by the Transit Riders Union, the campaign to establish a minimum wage for workers in Tukwila has qualified for the November general election ballot. Tukwila is located in South King County and has a population of 22,000 people. It is also home to Southcenter Mall. This initiative covers all employers as described below.
- Employers with 500 or more employees worldwide would pay a minimum wage at the same rate as neighboring SeaTac by July 2023 (currently $17.54) with an annual cost-of-living adjustment
- Smaller employers would phase in the minimum wage over three years:
- July 2023: large employer wage minus $2
- July 2024: large employer wage minus $1
- July 2025: the full large employer wage
- Small employers with fewer than 15 employees and annual revenue of less than $2 million would be completely exempt.
- Employers would have to offer hours to qualified part-time workers before they hire new employees or subcontractors.
The City of Burien is also considering creating a minimum wage but is still in the information-gathering stage.