Daylight is in short supply this time of year. It’s a good time to re-check that lighting and camera are working outside your store.
It’s also important to review safety procedures for employees who open and close your store in darkness.
Here are tips for the parking lot:
- Anyone working late should park under the lights as close to the door as possible.
- If possible, leave at the end of the day with a co-worker. You’re less vulnerable using the buddy system.
- Back into your parking space for a faster exit if a threatening situation does develop.
- A small high-intensity flashlight is helpful for illuminating the area around and under your vehicle and allows you to check the back seat before unlocking and getting in.
- Have your keys in your hands before you leave the building and remember to use the panic button on your key fob if you sense something is amiss.
- Try and walk down the middle of the parking aisle keeping as much distance between you and the parked cars on either side. Don’t take shortcuts between vehicles.
- Do not leave valuables in view inside your car.
- Always walk with purpose and scan your surroundings.
- Once inside your vehicle, lock the doors immediately and get underway.
- Always trust your instincts. If you get a bad feeling about walking out to your vehicle, don’t go and try to call a friend to meet you.
- There’s more related information here.
WR employs Rick Means, Director of Safety & Education, to help members with safety meeting topics and drawing up safety plans. Contact him at 360-200-6454 or [email protected]