Small businesses, especially retailers, restaurants and those owned by ethnic groups, have been disproportionately impacted by COVID-19. Washington Retail is pleased to share information on new assistance and grants that target such businesses.
The Washington State Department of Commerce received a $15 million grant from the U.S. Economic Development Administration to support collaboration among public, private and philanthropic organizations to support small businesses.
A press release from Commerce specified that this grant would support Safe Start projects and partnerships aimed at helping small business restart, rebuild and become more resilient. Grant money will benefit various regional economic development partnerships. For example, the Thurston County Economic Development Council received $182,000 to operate a one-year program through its Center for Business & Innovation to support entrepreneurs, business growth and excellence.
To reach ethnic businesses, Commerce offered funding to more than 20 organizations to provide technical assistance aimed at reaching culturally and linguistically challenged business owners and organizations.
Other regional grants with imminent deadlines:
- Thurston Strong Restaurant & Retail Grant Fund is open for applications until October 31 or funds are depleted.
- Thurston Strong COVID-19 Economic Recovery Initiative – Information for Workers and Employers
- Pierce County CARES Business Relief Programs applications are due by October 20.
- Commercial Rent & Mortgage Assistance – Get Three Months Paid
- Forgivable Loans – Working Capital to Help You Stay in Business and Retain Employees
- Offset Costs for COVID-19 Safety Related Business Expenses
- Free PPE to Protect Employees and Customers
- Tacoma SMALL BUSINESS RESILIENCY GRANT APPLICATION due by 5 p.m. Friday, October 23, 2020.
- Lakewood COVID-19 business grant with applications in multi-languages.
- King County Coaching and Technical assistance for small business in unincorporated area.
- Clark County SB Protective Retrofit Grant